Pagan CentralGeneral CategoryGeneral DiscussionStarting up a Wiccan Distance Learning course
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Starting up a Wiccan Distance Learning course  (Read 4282 times)
Kiel
Web Team

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »

If You're interested throw me an email on kiel@keyexposure.co.uk alternatively reply here. We've decided to 'bend tradition' a bit and offer coven membership over the web + initiation (obviously this bit's in person) at the end of it.

We're going to be holding webcam based path working meditations, and demonstrations via the pagan central chat room moot - since the previous organizer has resigned and no one has stepped forward.

The Course includes a bookclub style discussion on all items of the reading list each month. It's completely free, we're doing it just for the love. Here's the first year 'syllabus':

Essays
•   Write a 3000 word essay into the personal History of Gerald B. Gardner and present to coven/LY in person or via Web Cam.
•   Write a 3000 word essay into the origins of Wicca (key founding figures, level of detail is optional) and present as above.
•   Find out who wrote the Charge of the Goddess.

Reading List (obviously these will help with essay)
•   Aradia: Gospel of the witches                                                  – Charles Leyland
•   The Witch Cult In Western Europe a Study in Anthropology       – Margaret Alice Murray
•   The Golden Bough                                                                 - Sir James Frazer (you probably won’t finish it, but have a go)
•   The Lesser Key of Solomon
•   The Discovery of Witches In Answer to Several Queries Lately    - Matthew Hopkins
•   The Malleus Malefactum                                                          - Heinrich Kramer  
•   High Magicks Aide                                                                  - G.B. Gardner
•   Witchcraft Today                                                                   - G.B. Gardner
•   The Meaning of Witchcraft                                                      - G.B. Gardner
•   The White Goddess                                                               - Robert Graves
•   Etruscan Roman Remains in Popular Tradition                          - Charles Leyland
•   Letters on demonology and Witchcraft                                    - Sir Walker Scott
•   Liber 777                                                                              - Alastair Crowley
•   Israel Regardie

Meditation
•   Twin Pillars                          (5 to 20 minutes per day – objective to do it for 20 minutes without a stop watch)
•   Witches Meditation        (5 to 20 minutes per day – objective to do it for 20 minutes without a stop watch, you need to ‘find your inner/patron god’ + your magickal name the name you go by that only god and you know)
•   Lesser Banishing Ritual Pentagrams         (perform once every day until you feel you have the ‘vibrations’ correct – essentially the best pitch, rhythm, volume of the vocal parts)

Magick, Ritual & Divination
•   Learn the calling and invoking of each quarter off by heart
•   Learn the Witch’s Rune off by heart
•   Learn the Invoking and Banishing Pentagrams
•   Create your own Witches Tools and know what they do, symbolise etc
•   Learn how to dress a candle
•   Basics of Cord Magick
•   Basics of Scrying
•   Know the Wheel of the year
•   Know the properties and correspondences of 7 essential oils
•   Know the properties and correspondences of 7 crystals
•   Know the properties and correspondences of 7 Herbs
•   Talk about what the Four Elements mean to you (an innate personal cultural perspective)
•   Write and work a simple spell
•   Know 7 correspondences for each quarter
•   Learn Theban and Futhark (The roman alphabet equivalents, their meanings and reverse
meanings – you will need to be able to ‘read and write it’) then finally choose a system of runes to be your primary divination tool
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:15:49 PM by Kiel » Logged

"..have an open mind, and not let a little bit of truth check the rush of a big truth, like a small rock does a railway truck. We get the small truth first. Good! We keep him, and we value him; but all the same we must not let him think himself all the truth in the universe"
Marcus
Regular Members

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »

•   The Malleus Malefactum                                                                              - Matthew Hopkins  

I think you mean Heinrich Kramer.

Do you mean Hopkin's "Discovery of Witches"? My memory of it is that it's pretty big on Satan and not at all about pagans. Of course it's doubtful Hopkins ever met a real witch in his life ...

Marcus
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:04:32 PM by Marcus » Logged

:Gζπ a wyrd swa hio scel:
Kiel
Web Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:16:16 AM »

Yeah, Heinrich Kramer. I had to chop it out of word in bits, then the formatting went a bit wrong.

It's not to be read for the purposes of getting material from, merely to derive a christian historical perspective (call it a misconception if you will) of witches/pagans.

"..have an open mind, and not let a little bit of truth check the rush of a big truth, like a small rock does a railway truck. We get the small truth first. Good! We keep him, and we value him; but all the same we must not let him think himself all the truth in the universe"
Poshfrock
Regular Members

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »

This all sounds very wonderful! can you clarify a couple of things though please?
when you say initiate, to what path would that be? Gardinerian? Alexandrian? or another?
The web cam bit? would that be from your side? or from the side of the person learning?
Is there a way of confirming what you are teaching is correct? If you are teaching from an gardinerian/Alexandrian path and initiating people into that path, Is there a way of checking your family line first?

just a few things that came to mind when reading your post? hope you could answer these questions for me please? as I and others, I'm sure would like to know were the training is coming from? If you are stating that it is just your own path and things which you feel others would benefit from! then that is one thing and fine. but I think it would be good of you to clarify this point to anyone hoping to join your course.
which by the way looks very interesting, Poshfrock
Duane
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »

the web cam thing i'd of thought it'd be both from him and you, i'd imagin kiel would set up a private room for the 'coven' work
Poshfrock
Regular Members

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »

Thanks for your opinion Ciro. You could well be right. I'm still interested to hear Kiel reply though? I think the points I have made are very valid. I understand that when you are initiated that you make an oath not to tell what you are taught, unless that person can be validated by a person who has the authority? So is he saying?? that he is initiated himself? and that he is willing to break his oath? By telling what he has been taught?
I can understand the willingness to offer help to others who may not be in the position to have someone  to point them in a direction. that itself is very positive. but offering a end of course initiation to someone he has possibly never met?Huh?
it kind of goes against all the warning messages on pagan sites.
e.g a genuine wiccan group will NEVER ask you to join their coven
They will never offer on line initiation
they will never charge etc etc etc
They always warn people to be extremely careful when these thing are offered.
So knowing Kiel the little I do, I do believe that his aim is honest. but he should explain himself in full and if he is qualified to do what he has offered. otherwise he is deceiving people which is wrong.
I personally would suggest to those who are interested in doing his course, by all means go ahead as it wouldn't do you any harm and may expand your knowledge. but if you wish to go down the initiated path. find a group who you can check out and are validated.
Kiel
Web Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »

when you say initiate, to what path would that be? Gardinerian? Alexandrian? or another?
Gardnerian
The web cam bit? would that be from your side? or from the side of the person learning?
Duplex
Is there a way of checking your family line first?
What's the standard procedure? Witness verification? Line consensus?
I have made are very valid. I understand that when you are initiated that you make an oath not to tell what you are taught, unless that person can be validated by a person who has the authority? So is he saying?? that he is initiated himself? and that he is willing to break his oath? By telling what he has been taught?
I'm not breaking any oaths as I am not initiated personally, I am acting as a proxy for getting the word out for the missus.
a genuine wiccan group will NEVER ask you to join their coven
Which is exactly why 'real' wicca is in decline, it's exactly the reason the free masons experienced the same decline after the war. In order for the movement to persist this kind of antiquated thinking needs to change, the movement needs to adapt to it's environment. We live in a much more liberal and accepting society of minority religions, there really isn't the need to hide in a cupboard in fear of reprisal.

For example, I've never hidden the fact I am wiccan/pagan while working in for the army - an institution which is about as conservative as it gets. I find myself having theological debates with Warrant Officers, Captains, Colonels without prejudice. I've even considered becoming the first Pagan Padre.

They will never offer on line initiation
It's in person

they will never charge
It's free.

Any more questions?

Reloaded
Moot Leaders

שהריאל

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »

The idea of breaking oaths does not really hold water these days. There is a solid argument that since Ray Buckland, Doreen Valiente and others have published all the wiccan rites and 'secrets' there is nothing that can't be found out by reading the right books. OK, individual covens may have their ways of working, but that's about it.

Reading a posting about oaths and Lineage is a bit like being back in the 70's before the democratisation of the mysteries, no wonder initiatory Wicca is virtually dead.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:43:43 PM by Reloaded » Logged

"Take from me what was important to me
and I'll take from you what you hold most dear."
Poshfrock
Regular Members

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »

Thanks for getting back in touch with me Kiel and answering some of my questions.
I see you said you were getting the word of for your missus? If that is the same lady who is now living by the sea side. the last time I spoke with her she said she was only 1st degree? and if that is the case, then she is not allowed to initiate people. No allowed is the wrong word, because anyone can do it, but it wouldn't be recognized.
A bit like Lenny Henry's honary degree. Not worth the paper its wrote on!!
I see you said you are not iniciated yourself? do you intend to take advantage of the offer?
"I've never hidden the fact I am wiccan/pagan while working in for the army" Thought Wiccan meant inicated? wicca pagan etc something totally different.
Also how can you say that initiatory Wicca is going into decline, when you have not been initiated yourself. Most people are private about this and do not go around discussing it with others. Also when I said "on line initiation" I'm sure you understood what I meant. Any way best of luck and I hope those that take you up on your offer have a wonderful experience.
reply to Reloaded:- "no wonder initiatory Wicca is virtual dead." Wink  but then I know nothing.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:10:57 PM by Poshfrock » Logged
Kiel
Web Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:01:53 PM »

Thanks for getting back in touch with me Kiel and answering some of my questions.
I see you said you were getting the word of for your missus? If that is the same lady who is now living by the sea side. the last time I spoke with her she said she was only 1st degree? and if that is the case, then she is not allowed to initiate people. No allowed is the wrong word, because anyone can do it, but it wouldn't be recognized.
You're information is inaccurate.
A bit like Lenny Henry's honary degree. Not worth the paper its wrote on!!
That's bordering on rude.
I see you said you are not iniciated yourself? do you intend to take advantage of the offer?
Yes.
"I've never hidden the fact I am wiccan/pagan while working in for the army" Thought Wiccan meant inicated? wicca pagan etc something totally different.
To clarify, eclectic pagan and wiccan understudy or pre-initiate, whatever you like, 'working towards'.
Also how can you say that initiatory Wicca is going into decline, when you have not been initiated yourself.
This make's for an interesting mathematical exploration, what would be the 'optimal' number of initiatory wiccans out there since the 40's/30's. But in terms of the whole pagan movement considering we're experiencing a growth rate in the 100%'s year on year, the relative number of wiccans to pagans is in decline.
Most people are private about this and do not go around discussing it with others. Also when I said "on line initiation" I'm sure you understood what I meant.
Yeah which is why we've pissed off a lot of people and they're quick to moan. Gods forbid the internet and technology defile wicca.

Reloaded
Moot Leaders

שהריאל

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »

@poshfrock, I'm basing that statement on the number of active Covens in the Greater Birmingham area now compared to the 70's-80's.

"Take from me what was important to me
and I'll take from you what you hold most dear."
Poshfrock
Regular Members

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 11:19:15 PM »

To keil. Sorry if my reference to lenny henry was founds as rude.

You're information is inaccurate.
my response to this is, Im only repeating what the lady in question told me herself and Rhiannon was present at the time too.. so what can I say to you??? maybe she has carried on her training since then with another coven and got 2nd and 3rd? who am I to say?

Anyway Kiel. You have answered my questions in the way you are able and I think we should call it a day on this subject. I wish those the take the course the best of times, BB
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:29:20 PM by Poshfrock » Logged
Poshfrock
Regular Members

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »

Reload
 thanks for getting back to me. Ive got to bow down to you, as I was not aware that there were active Gardinerian Covens, within the birmingham area? I have got your reply correct haven't I? This is what you are saying to me? or have I misunderstood? look forward to your reply.
Kiel
Web Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 06:40:17 AM »

I think you can consider Reloaded a primary source on that subject Smiley

Marcus
Regular Members

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:01:09 AM »

I'm not interested in Wicca but I think Kiel and his Missus should be applauded for doing something positive for Brum pagans (and the same goes for this website)

Marcus
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:07:23 AM by Marcus » Logged

:Gζπ a wyrd swa hio scel:
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: